Saturday, July 01, 2006

Undeniable truths of the week

It's the weekend at last!
From this end up the spectrum, one can look back over the craziness and begin to pull the pieces together. Being able to boast of a particularly interesting week, I find that within the emotions I have discovered several truths. One of these is that no matter how hard you work for something, it never turns out how you hoped. Another is that human beings are naturally jerks, and that if they obtain no personal gain from you, you are worthless to them. The last is that parties are over-rated, always turn out boring, and leave you feeling empty and alone.
I spent all day yesterday cleaning. All day. And the day before that. If I left the room, things would not stay the way I wanted. It was my obsessive compulsive perfectionist Joslynn coming in to play. Therefore I spent a good deal of time guarding the kitchen and growling at anybody who came in. By and by my sister came home from work. "Are you going to put that away?"I would whisper menacingly in her ear. I do believe that my family was sufficiently annoyed with me and were eager to get away.
A dear friend of mine has received phone calls that she did not want. I blame my selfishness and stupidity.
We tried to celebrate the solstice. Summer is here! Endless sunny days, carefree happiness, apparent bliss... I tried to make a pineapple upside down cake. Anyone who tasted it can tell you that I failed. I made popovers that tasted like nothing. Another failure. Even the electricity failed me. No light, no music, nothing to do. It was awful. Tensions were high and I don't think there was a single guest that wanted to be there. A "party" in my dictionary would probably not fit with the definition in Webster's. Last night was a perfect example.
Over this past week, I have discovered that animals do indeed drown in irrigation ditches. I found that I can accomplish more things in one day than I am accustomed to do in a week. I learned the power always goes out at the most inconvenient times. I have found that I indeed cannot cook, that I may never practice for my lessons, and that I can be a completely insensitive brat. I found out that I am less of a man than most people. I have felt a mother's wrath, a sister's love, and a loved one's absence. I have offended, angered, provoked, and saddened. I have grossly and immaturely let someone down. I have passively accepted the will of others with no consideration to my own values. I have said some things that I wish I could take back. I have silenced some thoughts that I wish I could bring forth.
It certainly wan an interesting week.

11 comments:

Brittany said...

Wow, what a week. Mine was rather unproductive. Your party wasn't that bad. You make it sound like we sat around in the dark and did nothing.

Joslynn said...

Oh Brittany. You know we did sit around and do nothing. That is the LAST time I will ever do something like that again.
What a waste.

Brittany said...

Twasn't a waste. We all had the pleasure of enjoying one anothers company. That's all that matters, really. Besides, it was surprisingly more fun then what I did after I left.

Joslynn said...

And what did you do after you left... may I ask?

Nedge said...

Hey, hey, hey! Stop beating yourself up! You should hear about my failed party attempts...It was way back when I was turning 8. The worst. I've never held a party since. And speaking of you being "selfish, a brat, etc." don't think you're the only one. We all do it. Just today, I almost threw a fit because my mom was giving ice cream cones to everyone, and when I went up to make my own, there weren't any cones left! And there's all these little kids I hardly know looking up at me, slobbering on their ice cream cones. (They don't even EAT the cones! arrgh!) So I just simmered by sitting in a corner, reading Jane Eyre (such a strange book...).

Brittany said...

Hey, be careful what you say about Jane Eyre around Joslynn. She loves that book.

Joslynn said...

I do love that book. I promise you though, I hated it until the last two chapters. Then I loved it. I hope you will do the same. Tell me how it goes.

Anonymous said...

jos...your blog is always a delight...your writing...the essence of all things good and magical...I believe a small piece of you is in evrychilds dreams...keep writing, if not for me, for the children. Keenan

Unknown said...

you certainly do overexagerate the "horribleness" of your party. maybe i'm just easy to please, but those are my favorite kind of evenings...just us, sitting in your room laughing about this or that. and i rather like when the power goes out. i am being completely honest when i say i completely enjoyed myself.

Brittany said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that had fun!

Cowboy Joe said...

I wouldn't have given up a week without my cell phone if i didn't enjoy myself and not want to go home. being in others presences that i don't have to, makes it enjoyable anyways. as for those phone calls, a smile on my face everytime.