Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Pigeons on the grass-- alas!

NEGLIGIBLE old star.
Pour even.
It was a sad per cent.
Does on sun day.
Watch or water.
So soon a moon or a old heavy press.



I have officially had the pleasure of being formally introduced to the true nature of the English major. They may be a poetic genius, or a literature extraordinaire, but they are always-- in my opinion, at least-- completely bonkers.

I'm afraid it's beginning to have an effect on me.

The girls I sit next to in American literature history class are all English majors. They love Thoreau, and Wharton, and Chopin. They search for metaphors in one word poems. They have stringy hair, a pestiferous vocabulary, and strained eyes insulated with thick lenses for heavy reading. They use hand gestures when they talk. They fight all the time but never resolve their arguments. They are dynamic and caustic-- their debates create a cacophony of shrillness over which Evelyn Funda simply smiles and sways her hips and says, "tell me more, more, more."

Literature goes through cycles: romanticism, realism, naturalism, and modernism. The more innovation and progression that literature undergoes, the more freedom both author and reader have to write, experiment, and interpret.

For example, when I read Uncle Tom's Cabin, I felt the conspicuous presence of Harriet Beecher Stowe in my head. I was reading with the author's lingering breath moistening my ear. She had an odd way of placing her thumbs on the lobes of my brain and whispering, "This is a bad character! You don't like him! Here is the plot. Here is the problem. Now think THIS!"

Until I came to college, I was used to this type of reading. I did not read to find new meaning in someone else's work-- I read to gain information only. I read the world like an encyclopedia, a Dicken's novel, or a Sharon Creech book. I read to take; I never read to contribute.


And then there was James.


Henry James was different. When one reads Daisy Miller, one feels the decisive indifference of the author. Was it sad that Daisy perished in the end with no elaborate bedside scenes or fallen lovers? Frankly, it would seem that James simply didn't care. I undoubtedly did not either; I found the writing trite and egotistic and boring. When I opened the book, it seemed to me that James would immediately rise from his tea, tip his hat, and leave the room. Well, it's all well for you, Mr. James, but I am being force fed this nonsense, I would think.

He may remain indifferent, but the members of Evelyn Funda's English class could not.


And all the while the English majors would snip and snap and twist and take and talk and soak in all this terrible, terrible literature.


And then Ms. Stein popped into existence.


Gertrude Stein was the worst of all. When I read "The Making of Americans," I felt like I was in a glass box. Not only was the box glass, but it was a glass box with no holes, and no air, and no door. I read the words and tried to make sense of them-- words that are words and not much else; words that are abstract, that are the medium of the message, that are a perfect Picasso of words and nothing else--but I failed and failed because my brain cannot make order out of chaos. And all around the box was Gertrude Stein-- pressed hard against the glass, laughing, laughing, laughing-- and me inside trying and repeating and trying and repeating... and all the English majors were at war with each other, and there were papers and punches flying in every direction, and there was blood on the floor.


And serenely smiling over it all was Evelyn Funda, saying "more, more, more!"


I don't understand English majors or American literature. And yet, as sad, and as sorry, and as petty as it seems, I try very hard to fit in with them.

It will forever be my blight.


A LIGHT in the moon the only light is on Sunday. What was the sensible decision. The sensible decision was that notwithstanding many declarations and more music, not even withstanding the choice and a torch and a collection, notwithstanding the celebrating hat and a vacation and even more noise than cutting, notwithstanding Europe and Asia and being overbearing, not even notwithstanding an elephant and a strict occasion, not even withstanding more cultivation and some seasoning, not even with drowning and with the ocean being encircling, not even with more likeness and any cloud, not even with terrific sacrifice of pedestrianism and a special resolution, not even more likely to be pleasing. The care with which the rain is wrong and the green is wrong and the white is wrong, the care with which there is a chair and plenty of breathing. The care with which there is incredible justice and likeness, all this makes a magnificent asparagus, and also a fountain.

~Gertrude Stein

13 comments:

Nedge said...

Ba ha ha!
What's hilarious about this post is that you write just like...(dare I say it? Shall I say it?) an English major. There you have it.

The English majors in my class aren't so shrill, but they are determined that their interpretation of a work is correct, and no one else's is even close. Sad thing is, I never understand how they can see Poe's "Tell-tale heart" as a love story. That's just strange.
So, they don't listen to each other, blurt out their opinions to impress teacher, but teacher is hanging loose, smiling at everyone's statements, putting "I never thought of it that way. Interesting." here and there.

He smiles a knowing grin, much like the Mona Lisa painting. He must delight in watching us bring out our own interpretations of a work, and get all confused when a fellow colleague tells us we're wrong.

Maybe that's what Mona Lisa is smiling about. The fact that she'll make so many scholars confused in the centuries to come.

Original Kos said...

Yee-haw, jos. I enjoyed your post mucho mucho. I have never read Henry James before, and now, I'm not sure I ever want to.

Yay for Jos's blog!

Angiegirl said...

As a lot we are indeed bonkers. There was nearly always blood on the floor in my graduate seminars. And I'm with you on James. *shudder*

Brittany said...

I agree with Natalie. You sound like an English major. This stuff makes me sick. Not your writing, that is, but all this...englishy grossness. It's like a whole new world! (Don't start singing.)Too many adjectives that I need the dictionary for! Overload! Overload!(Self-destruct-sequence-to launch-in-five-seconds...)

Yay for Joslynn blogging again! More more! I vant! I vant!!

Original Kos said...

Wait, I'm an English major.

Joslynn said...

Abby: Ah! A parallel to the Mona Lisa! I never would have thought of such a thing, but then again, I am not da Vinci.

Angie: It is up to the teacher to spark the discussion. It almost always ends in tears for those who contribute.

Kos: You are an English major, minus the stringy hair. Can't say no to the glasses though... and you know I exaggerate, and wish that I could throw a little blood on the floor as well. Perhaps you should suffer through "Portrait of a Lady." Then your full appreciation of James's teacup tragedies would manifest itself.

Britt: Is there anything about me that doesn't make you sick? Speak now, or forever hold your peace. (Fruit bat with a squishy baby face: "I vant, I vant!")

Nedge said...

Doyle, loved your comment.

Jos, please explain the whole fruit bat thing...

Joslynn said...

Natalie:
There is very little to explain, but I will try my best to show you how my mind works.
Let's just say I like to imagine baby creatures. Or, rather, ugly creatures as cute babies. Weasels, rats, hedgepigs... you name it, and I'm gone.
Lately I have taken to the bat as a particular favorite. Have you noticed that bats have squishy faces? With little turned up pig-noses and beady black eyes... and fangs! Marvelous fangs! I like to imagine a furry baby bat, hanging by its toes and complaining to its mother, "I vant, I vant!" (evil winkle voice) at the prospect of a juicy peach or a mosquito who screams for his life with an Eastern accent. This is all because my little bat is from Transylvania; as far as I'm concerned there is no other kind of bat.
And now you know what I think about and I sincerely hope we can still be friends.

Unknown said...

yay for blogs! i think you would be a very successful english major. and that is meant in the best possible way :-)

Nedge said...

Jos, I must confess something to you:
I have always thought that bats were cute. Ever since we went on a field trip to the Hogle Zoo in first grade, I was transfixed by the bats. They were so cute, and they look awesome when they fly. So I can relate to you entirely.

What's up with the picture, by the way? Is it the female version of the tell tale heart?

Joslynn said...

It's a picture of none other than Gertrude Stein herself.
Isn't she lovely? Alice B. Toklas thought so.

Original Kos said...

You were inspired by my gmail status message, "bats with baby faces", weren't you? It's from a Joyce poem...ah ha! You are an English major at heart, I say, at heart!

Brittany said...

"Isn't she lovely..." (Ha. Try not singing after reading THAT!)