Thursday, April 02, 2009

So cute, but so wimpy.

My experience in college has widened my mind; I like to think my knowledge has increased, my awareness of the world is more acute, and my ability to see beyond my own perspective has improved. There is, however, a severe deficiency in the practicality department.

College has taught me to rush-- class to class, apartment to library--I push forward with complete lack of vigilance. As I made my way to Dr. Cheney's lecture this morning my mind was occupied with distractions. I walked and chanted in my head,
"The hair cells depolarize, the potassium channels open, the sodium channels close, the neuron fires and OPTIC!!! OLFACTORY!!! OCCULOMOTOR!!!!!!"
With my head down, my body bent against the wind I stepped into the street, my feet tapping to the rhythm of my internal study session.
Halfway across the road, a speedily approaching driver was quickly forced to slam on his brakes, narrowly avoiding steamrolling me under the wheels of his vehicle. He laid on his horn as I hopped, yes literally hopped, across the street to the safety of the sidewalk. I cannot convey how deeply I blushed then, or how scared I was to cross the street later that afternoon. I stood on the curb, putting one foot onto the asphalt and then quickly withdrawing it again until every possible approaching threat had passed.

For how well I claim to understand psychology and philosophy, I still seem to be fixated on my inner-childishness. I can tell you everything you could possibly want to know about Freud and Jung and Adler, but I cannot safely and properly cross a busy street by myself.
Explain that to me.

2 comments:

Brittany said...

To each her own.

I think I remember hearing about this. I'm glad you're okay!

Original Kos said...

Speaking of near death pedestrian experiences, I saved keenan's life from a speeding taxi yesterday. We bonded.