Sunday, May 23, 2010

Have you seen this man?




I have.

He has been touring the country for the past ten years, educating children about the differences between candy bars and carrots and intimidating them with 20 foot long models of their intestines. From the first time he slipped behind a door and emerged in this tightly fitting body suit, Slim Goodbody has never managed to entirely leave my thoughts. Perhaps it was the shock of seeing a grown man wear a flesh colored unitard, or maybe it was the afro. Either way, he has danced and sung his way into my long-term memory.
I was a faithful patron of Inside Story as a child. The only specific thing I remember learning from the show is what happens to a dinner roll when eaten by a person with a normally functioning digestive system. This was through a series of original Mr. Goodbody songs, the first having to do with the mouth and the salivary glands and the last ending abruptly with Slim running to the bathroom and slamming the door.
When thinking about Slim, I can't help but wonder to what low levels adults will stoop in order to convey a message-- any message-- to kids. This is apparent in shows like Barney where sharing is epitomized by a Tyrannosaurus Rex and his brightly colored protoceratops friends. If you think you're in a bad spot now, imagine playing a Teletubby or a Boo-Bah for the entertainment of three-year olds around the globe. Better yet, imagine yourself in spandex singing a song outlining the entire human digestive system.
You won't feel so bad afterward.

4 comments:

Cecily said...

I love you for this.

Pepper said...

DUH!!!! I HATE SLIM GOOD BODY!!!! HAHAHAH!

Gygi said...

Oh Joslynn, I sure hope you didn't watch this guy like I watched Oprah. Though, perhaps if you had you would have recollected more from his show. Entertaining post my dear!

William said...

My young life revolved around him and the music machine. Oh, and voyage of the mimi.