Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Great Pumpkin

Jason and I carved pumpkins last night.
It was my first time ever. And that includes kindergarten through sixth grade and countless single adult activities.
I find that with artistic endeavors I tend to get extremely impatient. In the end, my work inevitably turns into a sloppy mess-- a jumbled tangle of threads, colors spilling out from the lines of my picture. I had Winston in mind before carving this particular pumpkin--a Halloween cat, hissing and spitting with glowing orange eyes-- but when I actually had the thing in hand, I realized with mounting trepidation that it was to be more complicated than I had visualized.
Thus, this.

Which of these do you think is mine? I don't think it's hard to guess. Yes, a child is capable of doing what I have done to this pumpkin, but I was satisfied nevertheless. Satisfied to watch Jason carefully chisel away at his pumpkin for 45 minutes after I had finished mine. Satisfied to see how meticulously he cleared it entirely of debris, and carved out his drawn-on pattern. The result?


A very hard to see but good looking pumpkin.

No comments: