Monday, July 16, 2012

How to make a toadstool.

I've been contemplating a nursery.
Because we are having a boy, I am trying to accommodate my taste with the understanding that I cannot design anything too girly.
My solution? Whimsical. I am going to design a forest nursery.
I have a few ideas I have not yet put into action, but this toadstool was the first to take a concrete shape. I haven't purchased a rocking chair yet, but this little beauty will rest my feet while I'm rockin' my baby.

I started with a plain wooden footstool from Michael's. It would be easy to make one of these on your own, but at $12, it wouldn't be much cheaper. I got a yard of plain red calico fabric, some white fabric spray paint, and a small bag of batting.

1. My stool was 10" in diameter so I cut out a 24" circle for my mushroom pouf.
2. Using a stencil (I used the inside of a roll of masking tape as my guide) paint the circles on your pouf. My circles splattered a little, so be careful!
3. Allow circles to dry. I also made a mistake here, only giving it about two hours. It probably needs 6-8 to dry completely. But if you're an impatient un-perfectionist like me, you can make do.
4. I don't have a staple gun, so I just used nails to attach my pouf to the chair. I started nailing, giving extra room for the stuffing. Put in a few nails and start packing that batting in there!
5. Nail down the opposite side of the fabric that you have already closed. Stuff the sides of the pouf and gradually continue nailing and stuffing until your pouf is rounded.
And that is it! Now you have a lovely little toadstool to rest your feet or for your toddler to perch!

1 comment:

Pepper said...

so cute! what a great idea!