Saturday, June 10, 2006

Your mom is a man!



I enjoy Sunday evening walks with my Koseli. It is our time away from the ever-present frantic atmosphere in our home. The moment one steps into a cool rainy twilight, and smells the lilac bushes and the wet dirt, one can envision many lovely things. This is when Koseli and I tell each other stories. We never pay much attention as to whether or not the stories are true, although they usually are-- at least halfway. Even with the absence of lighting bugs we can add a little mystery and romance to our conversations. The most common theme of our stories however is... "What-a-coincidence!" or, in other words, ironic situations that involve humor.
At least, we think they're funny.
This story is my personal favorite:

A certain young man who happens to be both of our acquaintance comes from a very prominent Californian family. We heard this story from his own lips, and he had it before from his little brother Cameron, who had it firsthand... So it must be perfectly straight. Now this man's family had a very kind Hispanic maid (her name was Magil, and she called herself Lil, but everyone knew her as Nancy) who would bring her son... Pablo... to the estate with her every day as she worked. Pablo was a quiet child-- however, this was on no account of shyness because he spoke not a word of English. At least, that was what the family thought. As time flew by they discovered many thieving characteristics in this young boy; especially when missing trinkets were found in his possession... usually hidden beforehand in the flowerpots. When confronted about his impulsive stealing problem, the frightened child combined the few English words he knew into a most startling sentence... "YOUR MOM IS A MAN!"He roared. And like a toad he hopped the fence of the garden and was gone.

To this day, when conversations become dry and awkward, you just might hear me say, "Your mom is a man!" I believe that these simple words have the power to liven up even the dullest of topics and spark the interest of even the most boring talker.
I encourage you to give it a try. Go ahead, see what happens. You know you want to.

12 comments:

Brittany said...

An interesting picture for this post, yes indeed.

I am delighted with the frequency at which you blog. I usually wait weeks to get anything from most people.

I love the little lyric you threw into this post. Love it. I'm glad you know it, because now we can sing it...together! Muahahaha. We were actually going to make a music video to that song, because it's a group favorite. However, we all know that we'll probably never do it...tis just a fun dream and a nice thought.

I also love this Pablo story. I wish that I could have heard it from you in person. You tell good stories.

Joslynn said...

I love the Rocky Raccoon song! I illustrated it today in sacrament meeting. It was very nice.
I would love to be a character in your music video. You choose which one.

Joslynn said...

Oh, and also, I like it when we sing. Together. An octave above (or below) the accepted pitch. It makes me happy.

Brittany said...

I am fond of illustrating songs too! The Beatles are easy to do that with. I believe there are four characters or so to act out for Rocky Raccoon. Let's see...there's Rocky, Nancy, Daniel, and the Doc...is that it? Would you like to play Daniel when we do it never?

The type of singing that you mentioned is something I like to call "switching octaves." Michelle and I used to do it in Young Womens and, well, let's just say some people found it less than amusing. Oh well. It's too much fun, if you're not tone deaf. Actually, it's probably funnier that way. I'll stop rambling right now.

Anonymous said...

You two (good band) have way too much fun on this blogging thing.

Joslynn said...

Of course it's funny when you're tone deaf! We simply use this "switcing octaves" method to cover up that undesirable trait.
And I think that we should make the Rocky Raccoon video... next week.
And we do have fun on this blogging thing... Daphne! (I pray it's you)

Brittany said...

Of course it's Daphne! Who else would use my trademark remark? She has a blog now, you know.

Joslynn said...

Yes, I do know. And it's lovely.

Anonymous said...

May I please take credit for connecting Jos to the ingenius Californian storyteller who GAVE her the idea for this blog?? let's not forget that without me, we would not have been cheering "Your mom is a Man" down cowabunga slides at Cherry Hill last Saturday. But without me, and without precision, your tale-o-blog is clever and amusing. Props to ya ! Long live Pablo. Keenifer would be proud.

Joslynn said...

I'm spreading the legacy. I'm increasing the love.

Anonymous said...

having gone to school with Manuel Escalante , who bellowed " She lives in a dump!"as I stepped off the bus step,and replied, " if you paid your bills we wouldn't have to. I relate to this story . IALSO HAVE STRUGGED WITH MAN HANDS.

Joslynn said...

My dear, you do NOT have manhands.