Thursday, August 24, 2006

Fiasco!

It started as a simple errand trip. It ended as a fiasco.
In my front driveway, slightly to the west and parked on a strip of gravel is an old blue car. The front bumper is starting to rust, there are dings here and there, and its make and model are decidedly out-dated. It is known as The Buick. Or, better yet, The Couch.
While vacationing here in South Jordan from the wild streets of New York, my brother Kristian decided to pass on the Buick to me, as we are all expecting the worst from the New Yorker. In fact, I am quite surprised I have driven it so many times without a serious explosion.
Everything necessary was completed today for the grand ceremony of switching owners: the inspection, the registration, and the new licenseing. We decided to take it for a spin around town. As I approached the car, being the brainless git I am, I decided to swat out at a few stray hornets who seemed to be lingering around the sideview mirror. Little did I know that the heat of the day only provokes these curious creatures into what we humans lovingly refer to as, "the angry hour." Before you could say "The Predatory Wasps of the Palisades are Out to Get Us" or something like that, I heard Kristian yell...
"RUN Jos! Run!"
And I did.
Around and around the yard I ran screaming for my life as eight angry hornets chased after me, hungry for bloody vengeance.
Kristian ran into the house and seized two bottles of Raid instant Hornet and Wasp Killer. A few moments later the air was thick with poison and half a dozen insects fell out of the air around me and writhed on the ground in their last dying moments.
Quick as thieves we jumped into the car and raced down the street, beginning what could possibly be considered the most ineffectual errand trip ever.
We were going to get our hair cut. I was saving up my courage to cut off at least six inches. And my brother has skater hair. He needed that haircut. Kristian was going to get a new phone plan from T-Mobile, and I a new phone. Unfortunately, these things never happened.
Somewhere around Redwood Road, The Couch died. It just quit. No lights, no engine, nothing.
"Wow!." I said, once again being foolishly naive and stupid. "The clicking stopped!"
We sat in stunned silence for a moment, and with one desperate motion I tried to turn the key in the ignition again. Nothing.
We were stranded.
The situation was not improved by the fact that several angry hornets, nested somewhere within the car or outside of it, had found us, and had proceeded to launch assaults on us, their unarmed victims.
So in his button-up and flip flops, Kristian pushed the car to the side of the road. I steered.
Luckily we were picked up by a kind passerby, and a short while later I was riding in the back of a complete stranger's truck, feeling strange, but quite safe from the ravaging beasts.
It was a surpassingly strange day.
It is funny that even when I have the most ordinary intentions my life takes a sudden swing from calm to calamity.
It's just funny.

5 comments:

Nedge said...

Well, well, well. I hate hornets! And I understand the car thing...only I was attempting to learn how to drive with a stick shift. My mama thought I was ready for the road. During rush hour. Boy, oh boy, did I stall! In the middle of the intersection! And once I got going again, I almost hit an impatient car, panicked, stalled again, now blocking up the intersection even more! Finally I got going...only I totally screeched the tires and left my mark on that road. I begged my ma to drive us home, but she refused, which aroused my anger because I just wanted to get home, but my stalling talent was making it 10x longer. That was about a year and a half ago. I've never approached a shift stick again. I got the main idea on how to drive one. Now leave me alone.

Nedge said...

Okay. Hornet story. I was a wee lad. (Okay, I was probably 7 or 8.) I was with my sister at the West Jordan outdoor pool where we thought it would be brilliant to get some candy. I bought a three musketeers, and hungrily started eating it. I look down to notice some hornets slipping down my straw and sipping my root beer. I started to panic. (Detail: In my hurried snarfing of the Musketeer, some chocolate was around my mouth...) The hornets started landing on my mouth and sipping the melted chocolate. I screamed. And screamed. And screamed. I attracted a rather large crowd. Some were disgusted. Others were laughing. Others were waving their hands at my mouth, trying to wave them away. In one final panic attack, I lept up, and started running to water. I didn't care that the guards were yelling at me. I just ran. And suddenly I was flying through the air, and hit the water with a satisfying slap. The hornets were gone. Ironically, I believe that I got stung by one later that day.

Joslynn said...

That is hilarious!
I too have not mastered the art of driving a stick shift. I learned once... last summer, when we were driving home from Ohio. Let's just say I've never done it since.
If I had hornets crawling around my mouth, I'd scream too. I have never been stung though, so the fear is still fresh and kicking in me. You would have probably been considerabley calmer in my situation.

Nedge said...

Jos, sorry to tell you this, but...I have been stung many times, and you don't get calmer each time, you just...know what to expect, and how to treat it if you do get stung. (For example, did you know a mixture of baking soda and water will cool the sting and make it feel better? But first you have to get the stinger out if it's still there...blech.)

Joslynn said...

Baking soda, eh? I'm going to have to try that someday. Because it's inevitable that someday I will be stung. And when it comes it comes.
I will be ready for it.