Saturday, August 26, 2006

Lesson to a so-called Rock Star

It has happened. The muses and the stars told me not to do it, but I disregarded them. One would think that receiving several signs against my actions might have persuaded me, but still I stubbornly held fast. The Buick broke down as we ventured in that direction. Still, I was blind. I waited for nearly three hours to bring company along the way. They didn't want to go, so why did I? Why? Why did I do it? I kick myself now, and daydream about how things would have been otherwise... but alas!
I've done it-- I've cut my hair. And there is no going back.
Allow me to describe the damage, the situation, and the events in the order in which they occured:
In my previous post I mentioned briefly that I had a desire to cut my hair. Yesterday I acted upon that impulse. A definite mistake.
It began when Kristian mentioned that a long lost friend of ours works at Supercuts. Just by the name you should know these things shouldn't be tampered with. One's hair is one's dignity. Your haircut must be bad if it is described as 'super'. But I trailed along to the local Supercuts store. And it was there that it happened.
It began as a simple trim, only a few inches, as the girl cutting it (not the friend) had long, raggy, locks with too many fake highlights and not enough conditioning. My first impulse was not to trust her judgement. It would have been a wise decision, had I stuck with it. Instead I decided that she hadn't gone through beauty school for nothing, and she probably knew what she was doing. An hour and a half later, she swiveled me around in my chair and I gazed with shocked horror at the image reflected at me in the glass.
There in the mirror, was me. I had short hair- shoulder length- choppily and chunkily layered in the front. It looked as if she'd chopped it off with a knife and fork, and not a pair of scissors. But that wasn't the worst part. The crowning glory: a set of teensy little bangs, aligned scraggily and semi-straight all the way across my forehead. To one who already has a round face, this 'do' did not do it for me at all! In fact, it was hard to believe this was not just a bad dream.
The girl teased and inspected the round-brushed, blow-dried, froofed-up, mess she'd created.
"Do you like it?" she asked, cautiously. Perhap she'd noticed the horrified look on my face, or the distressed looks I kept tossing in Kristian and Koseli's direction.
"My bangs..." I began politely, "Are a little too short. Can you... do something to make them... look longer? Or something?"
She tried. I'll give her that. But by the time she finsihed I was convinced this girl had never gone to school to become a cosmetologist. A monkey could have cut my hair better than she did. The end product looked something like a cross between Rosie O' Donnel's hair and Pink's. And the more I complained, the shorter my bangs became. At this point they were about an inch long, and because of my cowlick they stuck straight up.
"Let me just trim those up a bit," said the girl nervously, obviously aware that she'd ruined a head of perfectly healthy hair.
"No!"
I was done.
I quickly got out of the chair, brushed nearly eight inches of my beautiful murdered hair out of my lap, and bound over to Koseli and Kristian. I was close to tears.
They told me it wasn't so bad. Besides, they said, I looked like a rock star.
"But I'm not!" I protested. And it's true. I'm as close to a rock star as... nothing.
My anger and frustration was evident enough to give me a full refund of my haircut. They may have been able to give me back my money, but that doesn't help. I want my hair back.
Today I am going to the mall to buy a vast variety of thick headbands, hair clips, and mousse.
I may have rock star bangs, but nobody will see them until they've sufficiently grown out.
It's like Paul said: "What's the difference between a bad haircut and a good haircut?"
"What?"
"About four weeks."

8 comments:

Nedge said...

Okay. I know that I shouldn't laugh about this, so I won't. But you are so totally like me! I have been trying to grow out my hair for two years now, and it has managed to stay right at shoulder length. Why? Let's call it...impulse. I will have a random day, where I'm really frustrated with my hair (due to chlorine at swimming, broken ends due to swim cap, and yet none of my swimmer friends seem to have these problems! They have waist-length, undamaged hair!!!) And I walk right in to my favorite place to get my hair cut (though it will be five or ten dollars more expensive, it always seems worth it...) which is Kellie and Company, and I tell them to cut off all the split ends. I haven't learned from the last five times, and probably won't learn...Anyhow, I guess my split ends always go to just below my ears. That's where they always cut it. The problem with such a place is that they style your hair so beautifully afterwards, that you love your haircut. Then comes the next day. I get so frustrated and sad that I can no longer put my hair in a simple ponytail. Drat.
Don't get me started on bangs! ACK! I asked for bangs once, almost a year ago, and now I'm still attempting to get them to grow out! I never realized that I had two or three cowlicks, so my bangs will never hang straight down...just limply to the sides.

Nedge said...

Oh, and I believe my hair will always be short until I stop swimming. I just can't seem to be able to keep it happy and healthy. I just took a shower a while back, and let it dry, and it's all confused and frazzled and a mess. Help me Jos! I'm so tempted to get it cut one of these days! (My problem is...I don't know what kind of hair goes with my face, as I can't tell what face shape my face is...I'm not very High Maintenance...diamond? Square? Heart? Huh? English please! ;) Anyhow...don't worry about your hair. Your story kind of reminds me of Jo in Little Women. I wonder if you'll wake up in the middle of the night, sobbing, "My hair." He he. Then they show her in the movie four years later with hair longer than ever! Don't worry, Jos! It'll be back sooner than you know it! (Then you'll probably cut it again!!! Just kidding!)

Nedge said...

W is for Wolverine. I have never ceased to be amazed by this x-man character, from when I was 6 watching cartoons in the morning, to now.

Nedge said...

X is for...(What'd we come up with? Some type of bird? Xengo?)

Nedge said...

Y is for yellow. I will never cease to be amazed by this loverly color. It's not my favorite color, but when I see this color (in the right tone or hue, anyway) I seem to be more cheery and optimistic. Plus it blinds me.

Nedge said...

Z is for Zorro. What would we do without this wonderful lengendary character? I remember pretending I was him when I was younger, and had a sword I bought from the dollar store. I thought I was sooo cool, because I could do the "Z" on someone like he could, only make it a "N", because, after all, a "Z" is a "N" on its side.

Joslynn said...

Somebody told me once to take a lipstick and trace my face in the mirror. That way you can see plainly what shape it is closest to. I don't know if it works or not, however, because the fact that my face is round is imbedded into my soul forever by generations of chubby Norwegian cheeks.
Don't you hate how (sometimes) when your hair is styled by somebody else it is magical, and when you do it yourself it's... not? Who are they kidding? I don't blowdry or roundbrush my hair! Geez!
It will probably take my entire life to grow my bangs back. You have left me comfortless.

Nedge said...

hey, hey, hey. It will NOT take your entire life to grow back your bangs. I am THE exception. My hair is ruined...probably forever. And because I ruined it on stupid whims (want an example? My friend wanted to get a perm professionally, and didn't want to do it alone, and I ddin't really want one, but I got one anyway...which destroyed what health I had left in my hair...then three months later I attempt to do a straightening perm on myself, which pretty much burned out half of my hair, and now it's the straggly mess you see today...I'm SO tempted to get it cut below my ears, and wear it in pigtails but I don't know if that's a good look...ack!) In short? My hair hates me. In showing its hate, it won't respond to any of the pampering I attempt to shower upon it. Now I'm starting to hate it back. We weren't meant for each other.