Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Penguin's Revenge: Why Sunday is the worst day of the week

I sent her over the edge. I knew it was bad-- but I did it anyway. She was on the brink of insanity, and I pushed her over.
My ward is small, ineffectual, unpretentious, and prejudiced. Everyone is always in other people's business. In other words, my neighborhood is chock full of gossiping old gooses.
Against my better judgment (but for the greater good) I have skipped a few segments of the block schedule at church to chat with a friend on the couches, in the empty classrooms, or on the grass. For privacy's sake we will call this particular friend 'Anne'. Anne talks constantly without pausing for breath or stopping to listen to the other person's response. Anne has that special talent of talking while someone else is talking without losing her train of thought. She can speak to anybody, about anything, for extended periods of time. Do you get my drift? We sluffed Sunday school to save our poor teacher from the wrath of Anne's jabber mouth.
At least, that's what I keep telling myself.
And then we were caught. By the bishop. He pulled up a chair, stared straight through our souls, and asked, "Do you need a new teacher? Why won't you go to class?"
How could we lie? He'd surely know... Unluckily, Miss Chatterbox said,
"She cries a lot. She's too emotional. I don't like listening to her lessons. They're not very good, are they? I mean, she works ALL the time so she probably doesn't have time to prepare them. But still! It's like, hard to listen to her..." and on, and on, and on.
Needless to say, we went to class. The first counselor physically pushed us into the classroom full of pubescent boys and unwarranted Sunday school teacher's tears.
Anne was driving me nuts. Oh, how she talks! Our poor teacher looked frazzled and tired, and every once in a while she would cast hurt looks at the both of us. But Anne was relentless, and so was I. Full to bursting with thoughts I desperately wanted to share, I was peeved how I could not get a word in between Anne's incessant chatter. And then, for one moment, the class was dead silent, and I blurted out this:
"Two penguins were in a bathtub. One says to the other, 'Pass the soap!' The other turns to him and says, 'Do I look like a typewriter to you?'"
Silence. Dreadful, painful, ungrateful, dead air.
SLAM! The teacher had thrown her bible onto the table, where it promptly and obediently snapped shut. BANG! Into her bag she threw the chalk, the binder, the tablecloth. CRASH! In went the vase full of fake flowers. With tears streaming down her face she looked me in the eyes and said:
"You offend me so much. I don't understand, how you can say these things and think it's appropriate. You don't come to class, and when you do, you don't listen. I can't BELIEVE THAT I'M TEACHING THIS CLASS WHEN I HAVE SO MANY OTHER THINGS I COULD BE DOING AND I AM SO UNAPPRECIATED!"
She looked crazy. Her hair stuck out in all odd directions. Her face was flushed and flashed from red, to purple, to white.
And then, SLAM! The door banged shut and she was gone. The class sat in stunned silence for a moment, and the boy next to me put his hand on my shoulder and said kindly, "Well, you've officially run our Sunday school teacher out of the church and down to hell."
Even Anne was speechless.
I had to sacrifice my pride to spare my mother from the dirty looks our neighbors were giving her. Word travels fast where I live, and I'm afraid it goes even quicker when it bodes no good news. On Wednesday I wrote my teacher a note. I poured out my soul onto a little card, trying my best not to fumble my most sincere apology. I made it as eloquent as I could. She ate it up. Today she seized me in the hall by the waist, kissed me on the cheek, and whispered, "I forgive you."
I can laugh about the situation now. It has taken me a week, but the ebullience I feel from the pardon given me is enough to put a smile on my face. From this experience I have learned a valuable lesson: Never tell absurd and meaningless jokes about penguins in the middle of a lesson that a batty and stressed out woman happens to be teaching.
Just don't do it.

29 comments:

Nedge said...

I will honestly take your advice. I have to say, though, I have been in your shoes...somewhat...but I wouldn't want to be in your actual shoes. I'm afraid my foot odor would ruin your shoes forever. I have to admit, though, you remedied the situation well. Good job! I once had a flapping mouth, and now I am silent as the grave. Please, don't ask. I don't remember the exact situation, but I have done or said something like your situation, and ever since then, I've been dead as a doornail, vocally speaking. Anyhow, I enjoyed the story immensely! (Except for the fact that I had to look up some of your extravagantly long words in the dictionary. :)

Nedge said...

Let me rephrase something: Your words were pleasant to read: Not your everyday "like" language. Thank you. You made me think.

Nedge said...

[what I mean by "like" language, as you probably already know, but I feel compelled to explain: "So, I was like, you know, like, 'I don't, like, know.' And he was all like, 'Yeah, I know, like, exactly what you mean, like.' And I was like, 'Wow! That's like, so totally awesome!' And that was like, the best day of like, my whole, like, entire, like, life!]

Nedge said...

...wow. That word, "like" can look and sound so weird when you read it and type it so many times...

Nedge said...

like, like, like, like, like, likeity-like, like, like, wow, it's like lake but like luke, like lack, like leck, like like like...whoo. I'm getting a little weirded out! ;)

Nedge said...

Okay. I'll shut up now. I've done...six comments in about...seven minutes? I can't do my math.

Nedge said...

Whoops. My math was wrong. It was five minutes for six posts. I apologize. Maybe I should stop, and leave room for others to say their say.

Nedge said...

Wow. I really need to change my profile picture. It's old.

Nedge said...

How's that? I think it suits me much better.

Nedge said...

...Or is this one better? Okay, okay. I'm done, sorry! :0

Joslynn said...

Nat, I need to say something.
I LOVE YOU SO MUCH
I love your picture.
I love your comments.
I love your blog.
I love you.
The End.

Nedge said...

...You...love me??? Well...that's uncalled for. You know what's weird? Smell a CD before it's burned, then smell one after it's burned...it smells different! (Okay, that was a "duh, everyone knows that!" fact...How 'bout this one? Have you ever been bored on a rainy day? Put a crappy CD that you'll never use in the microwave. Turn off all the lights. (Hopefully it's somewhat dark) Let that microwave cook that CD for five whole glorious seconds! Now you've got an awesome decoration to hang in your room! ;)

Nedge said...

...I didn't get the penguin joke, by the way. Was I supposed to?

Nedge said...

Okay. Last thing. Did you make that awesome "The Pigs Are Flying" layout? If not, where didya get it? If you did, sweet. I'm going to try and make one! :)

Joslynn said...

Duh. You know what I mean.
And I did not know that CD's smell differently after they're burned. I'm not accustomed to smelling things. I'm beginning to believe you are as smell oriented as Brittany.
The whole point of the penguin joke is that it doesn't make sense. That's why it's funny.
I got the pig design from pinkdesign.com. There is a link to it from my blog. You should check it out!

Nedge said...

Allrighty. I will do just that. (Going to pinkdesign.com) Sorry I didn't get the penguin joke...it's like the one a friend told me: "What's the difference between a duck?"
"I dunno"
"Its leg!"

(And if the person laughs, they're pretty much making a fool of themself, because, there is nothing to get...and they are faking it...sadly, I sincerely found the joke funny, and apparently made myself look like a fool.)

Nedge said...

I honestly don't know what I thought was funny in the joke...I must've been high on black licorice that day...

Nedge said...

yes. I love black licorice.

Nedge said...

And pickles and mustard and mustard pickles!

Joslynn said...

I sincerely found the joke funny too. I laughed. Out loud. And I was reading it! That's far worse... I guess we're both fools then.
It took me a long time to decide that I like black licorice.

Nedge said...

yay! someone else found it amusing.
Do you find it strange that we hold about two different conversations on comments on our blogs???

Brittany said...

This comment thingymabob going on between you two on both blogs is getting a bit out of hand. It's like myspace all over again.

I like this story a lot. It's better told in person. Lucky me!

Joslynn said...

I like getting comments. It's nice. You should join in the fun!
I enjoyed our visit. I hope I didn't exhaust you with how long I stayed... I kept thinking that I should leave but I never did.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Brittany Joslynn---this is out of control baby!!!!
But it is still funny that you managed to run her out---eheheh

bythway.. how was the concert yesterday? hopping fun time I hope!

love you babe,

Anonymous said...

That penguin joke was......yeah. hahaha

Anonymous said...

Wow. Abby and Jos just had a complete conversation via blog sub 8 minutes. Wow.

Joslynn... woe unto you ! Everybody knows 5th ward Sunday School is NEVER interesting. But not everybody knows you should NOT try to make it interesting ( hence the posted blog "The Penguin's Revenge: Why Sunday is the worst day of the week") Thank goodness you told a stupid joke 2 weeks ago so I have something to giggle about, ever quietly in my grey cubicle, day in and day out.

p.s. Mommit wants to comment on your blog but she too is intimidated by your wild talent in prose. I propose a guest appearance of a MOM ARTICLE. You know how we all squeal with delight at her stream of consciousness/completely-incoherent-unless-you're-a-Christensen-Emails....how about a piece from La Mama Roach ?

p.s. She requires computer assistance . period.

Anonymous said...

Hey!!!! you ate all my cornflakes---buy me more!!!!

Anonymous said...

Joslynn:
I know you posted this a while ago, but I'm a little slow. Okay I have to be honest I laughed when I read this. Not only because it was funny, but because I have heard stories about you and "Anne" and your Sunday school teacher. I even have a guess as to who the boy was. But anyway don't blame yourself. From the stories that I have heard your teacher is a little to emotional. I commend you for the apology letter. That's more than I would have done. I suggest that next time you lay off of the penguin jokes. You're the best.

Anonymous said...

oh me, oh my!
as one who did some real class ditching-- during gospel doctrine when your father was afar. There have been many such times when I did " hang out or hang back, " vaulting out the bathroom window during primary into the Bishop's counselors arms. Westside grocery was down the street, I was bored and hungry.
ah the times tending babes in the halls, and those great conversations. Alas Jos, I believe you modeled what You saw as a child. Mom taught me in young womens- I believe I kept my mouth pretty shut. That was probobly a first. I was infamous for getting my legs spanked with a ruler for talking out of turn ( wise cracks ) when Mr. Kendall was teaching, retired minister. I never told a penquin joke!!
Thanks for enduring someone who is struggling with enduring to the end with hormones, work and family. Come to think of it, you put up with some of that at home.
COULD THAT JOKE HAVE BEEN YOUR COMING OUT???
i CAN FOLLOW YOUR hARRY STORY BETTER THAN THE OTHER-glad you're letting these peole come out of you, witty