Thursday, November 23, 2006

Twilight of illiteracy


Well it was inevitable. I never thought it would happen, but I've finally done it.
I've taught myself to read.
Today, the Thanksgiving of November 23rd, 2006, I read over 500 pages of an honest, true, undeniable, bona fide novel. There was no class sophistication in this particular book either. It involved the supernatural, the fiction, the cheesiness... and yes, even the romance of modern literature. What? No Dickens? No pocket dictionary required? Joslynn read something... normal? And she liked it? What?
It began while I was waiting for the Turkey. That icon of holiday goodness- that symbol of gratitude, and pilgrimage, and thanksgiving- took forever and a day to cook. I had grown restless watching my father marinate and massage that horrible fowl, so I casually picked up a novel that had been thrown haphazardly on my bed by Shirsti. Twilight, written by Stephanie Myer. Not only did it involve vampires, but the author was a graduate of BYU. I distinctly remember thinking, 'Uh-oh, this could be more than a little entertaining! Let's have a go at it.'
And then I started. And then I never stopped, except for short snippets of time to casually converse with a cousin or two, or to steal another roll. My Thanksgiving was utterly lost within the pages of a book. That has never happened to me before. Ever.
I do feel guilty for my introverted ways. I honestly believed I could pull off a sociable facade. For the first time in months I was under the same roof as the Parker family: possibly the most entertaining people in the world to watch. Unfortunately, I suck at life.
"Watcha reading Joslynn?"(said consecutively by at least twelve nameless relatives).
"Um... a book." (Obvious, "Go away, I'm reading" response).
"What's it about?"
Not wanting to give them a synopsis of my ridiculous novel, I would then ween the conversation away from me until they felt their obligation to pelt me with questions fulfilled.
So perhaps my day was not filled with the expected sunny joys of family and food. I could hardly manage to eat a bite in between chapters. However, I have discovered yet another thing to be grateful for: entertaining books. And for now I am not speaking of great books that change minds and lives and institutions, nor educational books that enlighten the brain and inspire the heart. Good, old fashioned, entertainment in the written form is what I'm thankful for today, because I have not enjoyed it since I've discovered I could read.
I think I'm in love.
Again.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joslynn I am shocked that you read a you read a normal book. I am glad that you had a wonderfull Thanksgiving.

Nedge said...

Josylnn...read...a book? A normal book nonetheless? Congratulations! Whenever I'm stuck in a mammoth novel full of meaning...I like to pick up a normal novel, and fly through it within a day or two. Then I am renewed in my love of reading, and I continue plodding through the mammoth novels. (The Mammoth Novels are very good, mind you...they're just...HARD.)

Brittany said...

There are books that change minds and lives and that enlighten the brain and inspire the heart? What?!

Joslynn said...

Brenda: Don't be shocked. It's not so completely out of the ordinary... alright. It is bizarre. Be shocked if you must.
Nat: How is Les Mis coming along?
Britt: Redwall. There you go.

J-Vicious said...

I did the same thing when I bought this book. I got up on my day off, started reading it in the morning and only paused momentarily to grab food every now and then. Next thing I know I was finished reading it. I have the second book on my shelf, I have yet to start it though.

Joslynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joslynn said...

Don't read it! It is cheesier than one hundred pounds of Gouda... or at least more so than the comparison above.

Anonymous said...

Joslynn I am shocked. You have mocked me for years on my "Normal" Reading choices. You have always read the classics. I thought you told me I would like it. After reading your last comment I'm not so sure.

Joslynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joslynn said...

I have never mocked you... wait--I take that back. I teased you once because your book looked so... what was it called? Something cheesy about sisters or twins.
And I said the second book in the Twilight series was cheesy. Okay, the first was too, but not nearly as bad. There are about twelve pages in New Moon that simply have one word written on each: November, December, January... etc, etc. because Bella's vampire boyfriend leaves.
Frankly I was disappointed. Why, I do not know, as one cannot ever expect much from these types of books.

Brittany said...

You're absolutely right. I completely forgot about them! Redwall will change minds and lives and that enlighten the brain and inspire the heart. And give you nightmares of human-sized rats chasing you down with spears and whatnot. Yay for Redwall!

Joslynn said...

You know, that actually sounds like fun. I should read those Redwall books. You love them far too dearly to disregard any longer, Brittany.