Sunday, December 31, 2006

They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back From The Dead!!


Holidays just aren't the same without the Francises.

In any ordinary suburban neighborhood New Year's Eve is celebrated by watching the ball drop on TV, making nugatory promises for the coming year, and toasting memories. These quiet, conventional, and thoroughly American customs have been tossed aside by the former residents of a certain dark and rather foreboding dead end street where I happen to live.
.........................................................................................................................................................................

There were five boys in the Francis family. Each one was taller and crazier than the next, with long lanky legs and ashen complexions from drinking too much alcohol and staying up late every night. They dropped dummies on passing cars, swam in the putrid canal, vandalized fence posts, and stole Ron Lewis's freshly killed bloody sheep head out of his barn and mounted it for all to see on a pole in their front yard. They were hooligans and hellions in every respect. Every time a dog was poisoned or a shed caught fire the residents of my road pointed their fingers at the infamous Francis Five.
They were the bane of 10755, the annual hosts of the New Year's Insanity, and they lived across the street from me.

Every New Year I recall as a child was ushered in by the raucous parties they would throw. Sleeping on this special night was difficult when Beastie Boys kept pervading my dreams and every time I looked out my window I could see my neighbors chain smoking and drinking beer on their front lawn. Often illegal fireworks were added to the mess of drugs and music and dancing, but if they were unattainable there would surely be an added bonus show of colored lights from homemade rockets and various explosive chemicals.

Life with untrustworthy neighbors is not easy. Young and innocent children are easily impressed upon. Because of this I was absolutely forbidden to associate with the Francises; I was not allowed to approach, speak, or even so much as to look at them. Because I was sheltered-- or perhaps to spite that fact-- I could not deny a lurid fascination with them. I enjoyed analyzing them because it was like gazing into bent glass: the reflection was completely contorted and twisted and crazy, but I could still see a bit of the original shape in the image.

The Francises moved away years ago. They simply packed up and left unexpectedly, taking only what they could fit in the bed of a pick-up truck and returning for the rest later.
After they left, the neighborhood gossips congregated in my kitchen and surmised the cause of this sudden departure. They ended the discussion with the assumption that Donna had gotten pregnant, or Tex had been expelled from high school, or the boys had started making a bomb in the basement and the toxic fumes had forced the whole family to leave.
I suppose we will never know the truth.
.......................................................................................................................................................................
Today is New Year's Eve once again. All is still and peaceful-- a completely different greeting for the New Year than what the residents of my neighborhood have come to expect. There are no fires, no rowdy boys riding goats, no fireworks, and no boom boxes blasting Duran Duran.
Even so, on nights like this I hear in my head the faint beat of a drum and the elusive whine of a synthesizer a little way down the road. The Francises are gone, but their obstreperous ways will forever haunt 10755 every New Year's Eve until the city inevitably decides to take a steamroller to this hill-- causing my quirky neighborhood to be evened out and average once again.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing a new post. Now back to your story. I kind of find that funny. Growing up with some real weirdos across the street from me I can kind of relate. That's interesting that you associate them with New Year's eve though. Someday we'll sit down and compare horror stories.

Nedge said...

He he he! Love your writing. Love it!

Brittany said...

Don't get rid of this post. I likes it.

J-Vicious said...

The only thing my neighbors do is clang on pots and pans for a while and the occasional firework here and there.

J-Vicious said...

haha you better not have the black lung. I just got some prescription medicines, hopefully I'll be back to my normal self soon enough.

Anonymous said...

well howdy there *hicc-up! this is huckleberry hooch--you know.. I live a few shacks down this here river from ya *hick! would you like to go trappin or maybe, I dunno.. i got some real nice catfish and mebbe we could go to the cockfight on sat. nite. whatcha say purty misses--are ya willin?

Joslynn said...

Alright, I admit it. This post is uncommentable.
Blast!

Anonymous said...

Uncommentable? It just means it's time for a new one. We've all run out of things to say.

Joslynn said...

Well, maybe I don't have any ideas for a new post either. There was one glorious moment in my life where I simultaneously thought of ten or so good post ideas, and then promptly forgot them all.
I am as much in the dark as anybody. And more so than most.

Anonymous said...

joslynn you are one hot tamale

Joslynn said...

Who are you, anonymous? Too lazy to sign in? Afraid to reveal your name? A secret lover from my past? (Bueh heh.)

Anonymous said...

I agree with the first anonymous. Yer too hot for your socks!!!

Brittany said...

Uncommentable? I think not! I'll give you a decent comment, AND sign in. Take that, you lazy bums who are attracted to Jos.


First of all, I think you were rather gutsy to put your address on here. Not sure whether to kudos you on that, or not.

Second, I wish I could have met these boys. They sound like my type. You wouldn't happen to know where they live now would you? Or have their number? Twould be greatly appreciated!

And third, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who likes your canal. I can't say I'll ever swim in it, but still, they did. And that's all that matters.

Now, how's that?

Joslynn said...

Gah! What if I just disable anonymous commenting, eh?

Thank you for announcing to the world that my address is on this post, Brittany. For all they know it could've been some code name or something... okay, you're right. It was dumb. Not gutsy. Dumb. But still!

I will not give you the phone numbers because:
A) I do not have them.
B) I refuse to let you associate with anybody that drinks Budweiser
C) You wouldn't get along with Tex.

The canal almost looks pretty in the springtime. Keyword: almost. However, I think that our next walk should head out in that direction-- just as soon as the mud and horse excrement dries. What d'you thunk?

Anonymous said...

To tell you the truth, I didn't know what those numbers meant till the second time they appeared in your post. Then I realized what they meant. Sorry for spilling the beans.

Apparantly I do drink Budweiser, and I love the name Tex.

P.S. Your neighborhood is not average. If it were, I wouldn't want to live there. But I do. So there!

J-Vicious said...

I like running on that path that follows the canal. I might go running there when I'm not sick and there is no snow. Of course I would need somewhere to park my car....or maybe I should just go running on that one long path thingy where people ride bikes and such, but alas I don't know where it is exactly.

Joslynn said...

Moving in here is a desire of yours that is completely beyond me.
I suppose if we both lived here we could spend Sunday afternoons fishing in the canal for old sneakers and dead sheep. We could even go horseback riding from time to time.
We did find a prime location to look at the valley. I will give 10755 that much credit. Good thing we're on a hill.

Anonymous said...

Okay Joslynn I told you I would leave you a comment every time I visited your blog. Here I am again and I am glad to see that some others are writing comments as well. For those of you who are wondering I am not anonymous. Sorry. Your guesses were wrong. Anyway Brittany you know you and those boys could go to club splash or should I say club vortex together. I'm sure they'd love to go with you. As for the canal road portion I do like the canal road I guess, but what I like most is the tree house. Or the idea of having a tree house. We have had great discussions on this and even visited it once. I still think there should be a secure treehouse built in the South Jordan tree.

Nedge said...

Jos...you're becoming like Doyle...and it's making me angry...BLOG SOON!