Monday, April 02, 2007

Polluting the air in more ways than one


The McCombies have been in Malibu for six months.
Each day of their absence, Renee Clark has faithfully gathered their mail and placed it in a plastic box where bit by bit it has amassed and accumulated to overflowing. Not only does the woman drive a large vehicle to pick up the letters from the McCombie's mailbox fifty feet from her front door, but she also almost always has a skinny cigarette clamped securely between her faded and sagging lips.
From my front porch vantage point, I can periodically witness the antics of my singular neighbor. Today, as I unstrapped my running shoes and stretched my legs, I smiled to myself and thought:
Ah, she gets better everyday.

8 comments:

Brenda said...

On the way home from school today we pulled up behind a large truck. On the bumper there was a sticker that read Drug Free is the Way to Be after coming up on the other side of the truck we noticed that the man driving the truck was smoking a cigarette. It was quite ironic.

Nedge said...

Ha ha!
I love it when you witness things like that.
Random thing:
I was riding my bike on the Jordan River last saturday, and here's excerpts from conversations I overheard...

"I need to be home by two! Is that a possiblility? I need to watch General Conference!"

"...why's that duck upside down?..."

"...it really stinks here..."

Brenda said...

Jos I don't have a blogger account. I leave so many comments on your blogs that it signs me in automatically from my gmail account. Trust me I have no computer skills to start a blog.
Those are really funny Natalie.

Joslynn said...

Ha! That hilarious! You're an unofficial-official member of the blogging world. Kudos to you, Brenda Baby. Oh, and I can actually see the irony in your first comment. Good word choice, my friend.

Nat,
Seen any flaming cats lately?

Brenda said...

Did I use the right word? Irony. I looked it up and it sounded right.

Anonymous said...

Irony? isn't that what I got in my right leg a few years ago? No, wait, that was made of titanium, chromium cobalt and ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene--not iron. Oh well.

Joslynn said...

I am convinced that I have used the definition of 'ironic' very loosely in my life. This is the one regret I have of my quest to expand my vocabulary: that I have deemed things ironic that had absolutely no irony in them whatsoever.

Original Kos said...

Oh Joslynn! You know I know exactly what you're talking about. I love our neighborhood—it's never going to change either. You should write a book about our neighbors, or at least a short story. We've got some dynamic characters....