Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Revenge of the Nite Bite


The basement freezer has always been a rank dungeon which houses the oddities and outcasts of the food world. Freezer burned dinner rolls, untouched, uncooked, and ill-assorted meats of all kinds flank the wire baskets lying within this big white casket for frozen food. Occasionally, however, a sweet treat can be found in the very deepest corners of this particular freezer.
It is here that I first discovered the Nite Bite.

They came as gifts from the diabetes camp management. Innocently wrapped in bright blue plastic with pink letters, they were the only colorful object in the freezer's grasp. Designed to keep little diabetics from getting midnight low downs, the colorful candies appeared to be delightful as well as tasty. Chocolaty brown with a texture similar to a tootsie roll, I unraveled my first Nite Bite with delight and sank my teeth into its frozen surface.

The first words that can possibly describe the sensation of eating a Nite Bite are a combination between chocolate, chalk, and mud. The Bite is thick, glutenous, and filled with the powdery sensation of protein packed grossness. Overwhelmingly sweet and undesirably preservable, the half-thawed goop sticks to the roof of my mouth, throat, esophogaus, and stomach.

In other words...

Bees sting,
Flies bite.
I just wanted
A Nite Bite...
But I learned my lesson the hard way.

3 comments:

Nedge said...

So, I'm confused. Do you like these, or not? :)
I have had a similar experience with a minty treat. Very chalky, but once wetted by yer saliva, it stuck fast onto the roof of your mouth. It dissolved away after about a half-hour of nudging with my tongue.

Brenda said...

Those sound quite gross Joslynn. Your freezer has been known to turn up a treet or two when the friends come calling.

Brittany said...

I prefer the big smarties. I've got Don Tomas running around in my head right now. ("And for the reward....TOOTsie rolls! Eh? Eh?")