Wednesday, March 02, 2011

I've been reading...

 "I knew that I had come face to face with someone whose mere personality was so fascinating that, if I allowed it to do so, it would absorb my whole nature, my whole soul, my very art itself."

Last night I finished one of the most intriguing books I have ever had the delight to read: The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde. This is a book that I have always had the intention of reading, but never got around to. When Jason presented me with this gorgeous Penguin Clothbound Classic version of the story, however, I could not resist.
I mean, could you?

While I quickly tired of Lord Henry Wotton's indulgent hedonism, I was captivated by the story itself.  I was astonished by the lightning fast wit of his characters' conversations. Actually, I'll be the first to admit that I often had to go back to make sure I understood everything they said. The book is fresh without being offensive, mystical without being unreal. Oscar Wilde is a fascinating man. Next to Jane Austen and Ghandi, he would be my first choice for a posthumous lunch. As his brilliant life culminated in an ultimately tragic demise, we can only speculate what other fantastic work he could have given the world had he only lived a little longer.

Before I started to learn of Dorian's infamous portrait, I read another well-intended and long awaited novel-- Tess of the D'urbervilles. This book was capital. Capital! Given, Thomas Hardy can be a bit ridiculous (melodramatic, verbose, unrealistic) but all I can say is this: !!
What a fantastic book.
It had enough power over me to make me mad at Jason for things he has never done, nor would ever do. Alec D'urberville's lechery and Angel's treachery had a most profound effect on me. As a newly married person, I felt Tess's pain quite acutely, and hugged my husband extra tight each time I finished a chapter. Thank goodness for good books, and thank heaven for even better men.
The last item on my book review is Julia Alvarez's Something to Declare. I love young adult literature. I love Latin culture. Therefore, I love Julia Alvarez. After reading Yo! and How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents  I was hooked. She expresses the idiosyncrasies, beauties, and trials of the latin-American culture so poignantly it feels real; after I read her experiences I feel like I know enough to pass as an emigrant from the Dominican Republic (or, as I lovingly refer to it in my mind, the DR), I think in English punctuated with italicized words in Espanol and my palest of white skin seems to reflect a deep summer tan. Never has the confusion of biculturalism been so captivating. Now, in Something to Declare, not only do we get Julia Alvarez's personal experiences (without exaggeration?) as a Latina teenager in America, but we receive a steady stream of encouragement for young writers. Considering all Ms. Alvarez had to go through to finally receive recognition for her writing, I feel like even I could publish a book-- if I worked hard enough.
Inspiration for us all.

1 comment:

Original Kos said...

I was a mess walking home from campus after I finished Tess. A real Tess Mess. I couldn't even explain everything I was feeling...so so fascinating. So happy you're reading all of these great books!