Thursday, March 03, 2011

Spring Break: Uncensored

Spring break is next week. Though the cold wind still blows through Logan with a bitterness I feel I do not deserve, I was comforted last night to hear the sound of rain softly pattering against my window. It is the time of renewal, freshness and clean hope. And the best part?
It wasn't cold enough to snow.
Spring break, here we come! It's time to party, Barton style.
We are not going to Cancun, nor are we going anywhere that will be warmer than roughly 33 degrees. This is agreeable to me, however, as I have never done anything especially extraordinary during spring breaks past;  I have almost always been too preoccupied in March by my desperate desire to deep-clean my oven and arrange flowers. Because of this, I am proud to say that I have married a person who has similar spring break ambitions. This year we are staying in Logan, and it is going to be fabulous.
When Jason and I have a "party," our festivities usually include just the two of us, either an enormous bowl of homemade seven-layer dip or ice cream, and an electric sander. Since our marriage, it seems we enjoy immersing ourselves in projects-- usually ones that involve a good deal of semi-gloss paint and back breaking labor. I feel certain that I have inherited my insatiable work ethic from my parents, who are infamous for trimming bushes and staining decks while on vacation. Oh, I do know how to relax. I know the value of a good nap. But there's something about hard work that is extremely fun, or maybe it's just the fact that I'm in love. Either way, work is always reconciled by Harry Potter, and I always make sure I have plenty of Jim Dale on hand to entertain us as we drudge away.

This Spring break we have big party plans.

After being inspired by Koseli, I decided to paper my china cabinet, perhaps a chic neutral like this.


Or mint green, like this:


A nice floral print is always acceptable in my book as well.


Or maybe something a bit brighter and bolder, like this:


Or this.


What I truly love is this avarian cabinet from Anthropologie...
...but I've already overwhelmed our apartment with songbirds and gaudy plumage, so for the time being I'll shy away. 

Even if my papering dreams don't come true, I do plan on definitely making these adorable cakestands and displaying them everywhere.

Read the tutorial here if you would like to join me.

Happy spring to you! It may look cold and gray outside, but I can feel the flowers and birds just waiting to make their glorious debut very soon. In the meantime, I am going to make my home as cheery as any day in spring. 
Party up!

1 comment:

Original Kos said...

I didn't realize I inspired you to paper your cabinet--I can't remember anything these days. I'm so excited about all the home creativeness you have these days...love it. I think it makes you happy and excited to create. Keep on, Martha!