Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Departure of the Small Ones

It has happened at last; I have my room back.
Never before have I missed something so much as the scent of my pillows, or my down comforter--I was so happy to creep into the cool darkness in the wee and twinkling dawn after they left. Gone are the tubs of Benefit product. There will be no more laughing at "Ex's make great speedbumps". No more staying up until 2:00, sleeping in until 11:00, and napping at 3:00. No laughter at dinner. No conversation. No mocha heath ice-cream. The entryway will no longer be flooded with their shoes. They're gone, and with them they have taken that special charm-- that enchanting spell that visiting loved ones always bring.
I have my room back, but I would rather sacrifice my privacy forever than return to how things were before they came.

6 comments:

Nedge said...

I can relate to you on this one! On July 1 through the 3, I had almost all family members in my home, which is a very difficult feat. Then one left on the 3, the rest on the fourth. They are gone, back to their own lives...and I am here, still finishing up HIGH SCHOOL. ;)

Joslynn said...

I suppose there is nothing wrong with high school... I mean, it's better that we go through it rather than not. And then what glory meets our eyes on the day we graduate... once again you too will be equal with all those fancy-pants GED people.

Anonymous said...

I miss our OH squirrels as well. But we will see them soon enough! ...and hopefully they will nest upstairs and leave my rat's bed alone downstairs. I'll keep my own smells thank you very much.

Cowboy Joe said...

I know i watch way too much tv and even worse bring it into this reality, but the charmed ones remind me a lot of your relationship. very, very similar with this inseperable growing bond of love and protection

Anonymous said...

Who are you Cowboy Joe ?

Joslynn said...

It's Daphne, silly!