Monday, October 23, 2006

History of Imagination

I was six years old the first time I thought of Avaland. I was crying over an unmemorable something, and in bitterness and tears I began to imagine a complex world where everything was undeniably Utopian. From that moment on, my tiny, wingless, imagination took flight and soared to tremendous levels.
I don't know how I thought of the name. I think it was something I picked up from a cheesy fantasy novel. However, it seemed to fit and that was what I called it.
Sitting on the back porch I would close my eyes and transport myself to a parallel universe. Usually my wanderings in this strange land took place on mossy cliffs of towering ruggedness- stepping down to the sea- and over what I pictured as foggy, enchanted moors.
My hunger for perfection did not stop when I was done playing. I would spend hours arranging the furniture in my room, and daydreaming about my chimerical land.
I only got worse as time went on.
I used my backyard as the stage to my play. The willow trees were no longer just trees, but a haunted wood. Under the apricot boughs was a fairy ring, and in springtime I would visit them in the evenings. On rainy days I could go fishing for whales in the puddles, and in the crisp fall I roped down a dragon and rode him into the clear, blue, sky.
My playtime became even more extravagant and complicated. I added characters, and dilemmas, and relationships. It was a book, I thought. My own personal play; complete with protagonist, plot, sub-plots, and scene.
It was all so real to me, and so deeply personal, that I never shared my secret place with anybody.
Until now.
I'm not quite sure what the purpose of Avaland was. A method of escape, perhaps. But after several years of bonding, it became so much more to me. Surely I was a severely troubled child, as I never really lived in the real world, but only truly existed in the fairyland in my mind. This probably accounts for any strange quirks that I still have today.
Looking back on it all, I marvel at my ability to hallucinate and call it art; to believe in a dream that was so completely unreal.
But I still think it was the most beautiful delusion imaginable.

9 comments:

Nedge said...

Bravo! Hurray! Thank you for writing this post! (I apologize for not seeing it till today...)
You have expressed every emotion I have felt when I made up my own little world in the jungle. Thank you for giving it words. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

That is an amazing little story. I think that we all had an imaginary fantasy that we wished that we could wander off into. I can see you turning your backyard into a forest. It kind of does resemble a fantasy land. I like it.

Unknown said...

i think it's beautiful for someone to be able to imagine a world such as that. i envy you, in the best way possible.

Brittany said...

If it makes you feel better, I still haven't read this. I'm afraid to after the way you attacked me in the library.

Brittany said...

Just read it. It's beautiful. I'm somewhat jealous of your wild and vivid imagination.

Joslynn said...

Nat: Take me home to the jungle where the animals roam!
Brenda: I know that you indeed have a fantasy land. You just haven't found it yet. I think it might be located somewhere in Cache Valley.
Lindsay: Thank you. I always thought it was a little weird, but I'm glad you looked at it in such a positive way.
Brittany: I'm sorry I attacked you. You would have done the same thing had you been in my place. Even so I am glad that you read my posts sometimes.
A note to all: Don't hate me because I'm weird.

Anonymous said...

We love you because you're weird.

Anonymous said...

Josi-poo
living in a surreal world when you are a child is completely normal and very healthy might I add. Dang--heaven knows I wish I could go back to Kitty-Kingdom!!! you know what I'm talkin about, we spent many blissful hours there... you and i...

Anonymous said...

Cache Valley? Thanks Jos. I will go searching for my fantasy land.