Thursday, October 12, 2006

Prodigal Heirs and their Sons

As independent females we cannot escape the dissolute habits of men. 'Eye raping' is a fact of life we'd all rather disregard. I know there are countless, creepy, males crawling this planet; and I know it is inevitable that someday I will be forced to come into contact with at least one of them. I have been warned against these things. I have been prepared for the storm.

Unfortunately when it rains, it pours.

It seemed every scary old man in Salt Lake City was out today, and I had the terrible misfortune of meeting them all.
I was sitting across from Carla and Kathy on TRAX, recovering from my embarrassing dare of dancing the can-can on the train. A man entered the car and his eyes locked onto us. He wore a checkered shirt and facial hair. I glanced at him briefly and thought, "Suspcious." And there it was; an undeniable wink. I did a double take. And there it was again. It was true; he was hitting on me.
As we stepped off the train at Gallivan Plaza, the sight of the bustling city met our eyes. A lonely hobo was playing his cello on the corner. He followed we three as we nervously waited to cross the street. Nodding and smiling at me, he tipped his hat. A harmless, homeless man? Perhaps.
"Do you have two quarters?"
"I'm sorry, I don't have any change."
There was an awkward silence as he stood before me, staring with shifty, twitching eyes.
Run away!
A while later I was alone in the elevator of Wells Fargo, floor number twenty-one. Another man enters. He stares. Up goes the elevator. 22-23-24...
(Door opens, enter Carla and Kathy, laughing.)
Another wink.
"Have a nice day ladies."
On the train ride home I felt the nervous pressure of Carla's hand on my leg, as we tried to avoid eye contact with the person sitting across from us. He did insist on talking, however, and asked us several too personal questions. I zipped up my jacket, bit my lip, and nodded politely to his rambling.
Perhaps I was disturbed by these minor occurrences because I am not used to being accosted and bombarded with questions from strange old men. And someone screaming, "I want you!" from their car is not my idea of fun.
In other words, I am back to my man-hating stage. I simply wish that these things would not happen. I wish that raggedy old men could keep their eyes in their own sockets so I would be spared the pain of witnessing them look at my friends in that way.
Ugh.
There is one thing I don't understand. Do I appear so needy... so desperate for attention that these men think it is favorable in my eyes to wink, to question, and to flirt?
I most certainly hope not.

18 comments:

Nedge said...

Bwa ha ha ha! I know almost exactly how you feel! And to answer your question at the end...you do not look "desperate", you look...I don't know, I'm not a guy, so how do I know how you look? ;)
But yes, I have had experiences like that while traveling on trax,downtown, at swim meets, etc. I have learned to not look around, and ignore people I don't know (except at swim meets because that makes me seem snobby...) because I seem to be extra paranoid if I look around, and notice the scary guy with huge reflective sunglasses with his face pointed directly at me, but I can't tell if he's looking at me...so I can't stare at him to figure it out...or the scary people at CircusCircus...(shudders)...

Joslynn said...

I'm glad you didn't ignore me at your water polo game. If you hadn't looked behind you, you might have never known I had come.
Is there a story about CircusCircus? I want to hear it! (Read it)

Brittany said...

I'm so incredibly jealous! You went to Salt Lake w/out me? Rode TRAX and went to Wells Fargo?? Argh! I'll tell you one thing though, none of this men-business would have happened had I been there. My hideous stare would have kept them from seeing you all.

Nedge said...

Brittany, LOL! And If I'd been able to come...they'll be warded off by my pungent feet.

Brittany said...

That's right. Stick with us Jos. You'll never get married. Men won't be able to look at you or come near. And then we'll have to move to a ranch in Montana. Get your shot guns ready girls!

Joslynn said...

Brittany: You were sorely missed on this particular trip. Seriously. Your name is written all over Salt Lake City. Remind me and I'll tell you another funny occurence you might enjoy hearing...
Natalie: You were missed too. I tried to touch your toe once, and I did not find it smelly.

I'm more than ready to sacrifice any man for Montana.
Wild horses couldn't stop me.

Anonymous said...

Joslynn:
Sorry about all that. I would not have looked at you strangely, had I been on TRAX with you.

Brittany:
You are far too beautiful to chase men away. On the contrary, you draw them closer to you.
Show me the guy who looks at you funny and I'll kick his trash.

Anonymous said...

Do any of you want me to write a poem for you? If you do, tell me what you want in it or what you want it to be about. I can't gurantee that you'll like it. I just really need something to keep my mind off of something else....

Joslynn said...

Jesse,
I did not know you were a poet. I'm impressed.
Please write a poem for me about... an evil gremlin man who lives under my staircase, and how I fell in love with him. Even though you harbor no guarantee, I can almost positively say that I will like it.

Does that something have anything to do with my sister?

Anonymous said...

Very much so. You read me like a book.

If you want to speak to me and you use MSN Messenger feel free: Grommit742@hotmail.com

Joslynn said...

You okay Jesse?
What's going on?

Anonymous said...

No I'm probably not okay. I'm an emotional wreck. Yesterday was not a good day for me at all, only two things good came from it: I didn't have to go to class, so I was able to read all day. Other than those two things it was awful. And now, today, the same feelings linger about me but this time they have magnified. Especially when I went to class this morning, then for some reason I started on your poem idea while in class and that made me laugh and cheered me up a bit. But now I'm back home with an hour to kill before my next class, and these feelings still haunt me more than ever. They are good and bad at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Surprise! Not. I feel so much worse now.

By the way, I have just finished your poem. If you want I can come by and drop it off to you or whatever.

Joslynn said...

I'm very worried about you Jesse dear. The best help I can offer you is a listening ear. I don't know if that's any comfort to you, but just know that I am always here.
I'm glad that you wrote that poem! I am eager to see what your genius was able to procure...

Anonymous said...

There are several options here: A-I can bring you a copy of the poem, B- Send it to you through email, C- Give you a website with all my poems, D- Show you the poem on my online journal.

It's up to you.

Joslynn said...

Whatever is most convenient for you is fine by me.
Regardless of what you choose, may I have your permission to read your poems online? I would very much like to.
My email address is josdolli@gmail.com, if you decide to head in that direction.
I am excited to read this poem.
I will talk to you about everything else later.

Unknown said...

you have such bad luck. you need to find nice boys. they exist. i promise. dirty old men don't count.

Anonymous said...

welcome to the life of a christensen female Joslynn, just remember to always have the pepper-spray handy
*sigh